Birth Registration

Birth Registration

Fairbanks Memorial Hospital is required by law to provide pertinent information to the State of Alaska in order to register your newborn(s). Through this registration process, your baby/babies are provided with a legal name.

Once your baby/babies are born, FMH birth registrars will provide you with the necessary information to complete the birth registration process. Birth registrars round daily on FMH Women Infant Services between 10 a.m. – 11 a.m. and will contact you prior to their arrival.

Please be aware that once you have discharged from the hospital all further communications regarding the birth registration process will be with Bureau of Vital Statistics (BVS) and/or with Social Security Administration. It is important that you allow time to meet with the birth registrar while you are in the hospital.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How and when do I receive the birth certificate?

A: While in the hospital, you are provided with a yellow form to complete titled “State of Alaska, Birth Certificate Request Form”. You must complete this form and send to the Bureau of Vital Statistics (BVS) with your payment in order to receive a birth certificate. The birth certificate is issued directly to you through the mail from the BVS, not from Fairbanks Memorial Hospital. If you discharged prior to completing the registration process, you must contact BVS directly at (907) 465-3391 to complete the birth registration process.

Q: How do I verify the birth of my baby/babies while the official birth certificate is being processed?

A: The Birth Registrar will provide you with a Birth Verification Letter that serves as a temporary notification of birth until you receive the official Birth Certificate from Bureau of Vital Statistics. This letter will be provided to you prior to discharge from the hospital or will be mailed to your home. This letter can be used for insurance purposes or travel through Customs.

Q: Who should complete an Affidavit of Paternity?

A: Single mothers and or legally married mother (if the spouse is not the father). If appropriate, the FMH birth registrars can assist with this form while the mother is hospitalized. After discharge, contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics at (907) 465-3391 to complete the document.

Q: How do I receive a Social Security Card for my newborn(s)?

A:  During hospitalization an FMH birth registrar will provide you with a parental worksheet.  Check the box marked to receive Social Security benefits.  The newborn(s) Social Security card(s) will be sent to you through the mail by Social Security Administration.  If you did not check the box on the parental worksheet, contact Fairbanks Social Security Office at (800) 478-0391 or go to the Social Security Administration website for additional information.

Birth Registration:
(907) 458-5347

Viewed 4,802 times